So I was watching the weather channel today and found out that the first round of H1N1 vaccines were released today. I felt this was the perfect topic to write about and something I have been thinking about quite a bit. Mainly because it is an interesting internal debate on whether to do it or not.
First of all, let me say that I am fully immunized (boosters included), it is a requirement of my profession. So is my husband, and our child, who is two, is also fully immunized. It was a choice we made. I fully support immunization. It is the reason some deadly or crippling childhood illnesses were wiped out. I do not buy into the fact that immunization causes Autism. There is no concrete proof that it does. I want to protect myself and my family and that is my choice. But I do not make the choices for other people who are not in my family. It's up to you how you protect yourself and your family.
Okay... now in saying all of that, last year was the first year I ever received the flu vaccine. I've had it available to me for a long time as an option, but last year was the first year I worked in Health Care and it was there, free for all employees and there was push from the organization for everyone to be immunized. I saw no reason not to go ahead and do it. My child had it available at one of her Well Baby checks and I approved for it to be given. Neither one of us had an adverse reaction to it and neither one of us have been sick with anything other than a sniffle and a cough all year. So clearly, at least in my case, it did what it was supposed to.
So now we're coming up to the Flu season again and once more the vaccine will be available to the employees. Because I work in a 'High Risk' unit, I will do it. Because I have a child, I will do it. Because I can't afford sick days off, I will do it. I'm not sure about the rest of my family. My husband works in a different sort of health care environment and at the moment, may not require it like I do. For my child, I'm not sure if it's worth the money for a clinic visit just to get a flu shot. There is always the option of the County Health Department if I do decide to go that way.
And I'm only talking about the seasonal Flu shot here. H1N1 is a whole different story.
There is a lot of controversy surrounding the H1N1 vaccine. I'm most concerned about the fact that it's being mass produced and may not necessarily be fully safe yet. However, on the other hand, I work in health care in a High Risk unit where it's important that staff are not sick and let it be known here, that in our H1N1 information pack we give out at the hospital, you can be contagious 1 to 2 days BEFORE you exhibit symptoms. It only takes one person to rub against you or cough or sneeze or not wash their hands properly before infecting God knows how many people around them. So truly, if they offer it to employees, there is no question in my mind for me.
Then there is my child... there is the safety concern on one side of the coin and on the other side the fact that children do not have good infection control habits. We have been trying to teach our child to cover her mouth when she sneezes and coughs and learning about handwashing and such, but at this point in time, she is so young and doesn't understand the exact importance of it. She does one day in day care per week for socialization and learning with other kids and I really don't need her to get it. I can't rely on other parents to not take their kids to day care if they might be sick. I can only do my best as my daughter's parent. Again, I'll re-iterate... it only takes one child...
For my husband, he has Asthma, well controlled, but H1N1 affects the respiratory system, which I believe is a very good reason to get immunized against this. From what I have read, this virus attacks everyone differently, and those with pre-existing health problems tend to suffer the worst, asthma sufferers again in the high risk group.
So perhaps I'll wait on my child, until the first round is over and go ahead and get myself and my husband immunized. We will of course, continue practicing good infection control at home and at work, which includes but not limited to, anti-bacterial handsoaps and sanitizers (I have a long term love with Bath and Body Works Anti-bacterial products), anti-bacterial bathroom and kitchen cleaners, and anti-bacterial dish soap and hope we do not have to worry about this interesting controversial pandemic.
Please note, this is all my opinion based on the reading I have done and the Health Care setting I work in... if your opinion and information differs from mine, that is okay, but don't attack me for it. Thank you.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment