I finish one post and have usually decided on what I want to write for the next week. I start the week pondering how I want to write said post and then over the course of the next few days change my mind on what I want to write about due to the experiences I have. That is where I get this week's topic ...
I had a horrible week, so much happened beyond my control, some of it trivial and some of it that will leave a lasting impression on me for the rest of my life. No one died, thankfully. Midway through all this chaos, I was 'touched by an Angel'. And no, I'm not talking about the corny tv show type angel, but a stranger who noticed something I had posted on my profile on another website I belong to about my financial state and thought to send me a HUGE box of craft goodies just so I could have a 'fun box to open'. While what I wrote on my other profile and the reason I was the sent the box of goodies weren't related directly to my chaotic week, it still came at the most opportune time.
And it got me thinking about other things I have received that have touched me.
One particular person that comes to mind with regards to giving was an old boss of mine. He was both very needy and very generous. When he was in the office, he couldn't do anything for himself. He had the most kind personal assistant who was so patient with his neediness because he seemed not to be able to do anything for himself. But when he went away on business trips, he would always come back with presents for all of us in the office. And it amazed me how much he paid attention to our likes and dislikes because I never received anything that wasn't directly related to something I was obcessed about at the time. Most of what he gave me I no longer have, but I have kept a few small mementos and trinkets to remind me of his generosity.
Another friend of mine LOVES to write letters. I have so many letters from her that I refuse to throw away because each one is so special. When she sends those letters, she usually includes cute Kawaii paper and stickers and just other little presents that fit in the envelope. So you're always getting more than just a letter.
My best friend since High School is constantly on the look out for things I would like... not because I ask her to, it's simply because that is who she is. She only lives a few hours away from me but we rarely get to see one another, so we send emails mostly, but we also send boxes once a month filled with little goodies and things. Over the years, I haven't been able to keep 100% of what she's given to me due to space restrictions and moving, but even sitting here in my kitchen, I look around and see a dozen things that were sent from her.
I have a few bits and pieces from old boyfriends and many things from my first wedding that hold sentimental value even though my first husband and I are no longer together. I don't have much left from high school, most of it discarded or lost in moves. If I look deep enough into my memento boxes, I can still find things from college, so many years ago now.
But what happens when things go awry and a relationship ends, be it a close friend or a significant other? I guess I'm one of those people who likes to hold on to happy memories. I'm not the type to trash or burn everything from a former friend or SO simply because they are out of my life. I'll look at old cinema stubs of films I went to see with the person, smile, and remember. When I see a gift they gave me, I remember why and when. I don't want to get rid of those memories. Good memories are what they are, good.
I have a couple boxes of scraps, an old one and a new one. Things I've saved over the years of special or significant events in my life. I plan to put those, along with old photos in a scrapbook or three, along with journaling and embellishing. To someone who doesn't understand what they are, they are just a box of junk. To me, they are memories and I'd like someday for my children and grandchildren to be able to share in my memories, whether I am alive or not.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment